This is another variation of cabbage rolls recipe that is also popular in Ukraine and Russia.
I do this mostly when I have leftovers of cooked cabbage leaves that are too small or overcooked and not good for the rolls wrapping.
- Ground meat – 1 lb (450 g) – pork is my favorite
- Cabbage – 1 medium size
- Carrots – 3 medium size
- Onion – 1 medium or large size
- White rice – 2 cups
- Olive oil or coconut oil – 4+ tbsp for sauteing
- Olive oil or vegetable oil – 2+ tbsp for rice cooking
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Sour cream – 1.5 tbsp plus for serving
- Mayonnaise – 1.5 tbsp
- Sea salt – 1 tsp for rice cooking
- Sea salt – 0.5 tbsp for stuffing
- Ground pepper – 0.5 tsp
- Adobo Goya seasoning (or similar) – 0.5 tsp (optional)
- Bay leaves
Cut the cooked cabbage leaves for smaller pieces (not too small).
In a big bowl, combine the stuffing and cabbage leaves. Mix well. If you are using the leftovers from the regular cabbage roll recipe, you may add a part of the onion-carrot mix into it, but this is optional.
You may put the mix into a slow cooking pan or any other regular pot. The lazy cabbage rolls can be cooked in the oven 350° F or in a slow cooker. The approximate cooking time in the oven would be 1 – 1.5 hr or until it’s ready. For a slow cooker the cooking time may be longer; start on high heat for about 30 min then reduce for low heat, keep it for another 1 – 1.5 hr or until it’s ready.
Cook covered with a lid.
Serve hot as a separate dish.
Garnish with sour cream if desired.