This non-alcoholic beverage is very popular in Ukraine and good during hot weather. There are many different recipes of kvass and this is one of my favorite.
- 2 cup apple juice
- 4 qt 6 oz (4 liter) water
- 6 tbsp apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh or concentrate
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp fresh active dry yeast (add 1/2 tsp if the yeast is older)
- 2 cup sugar
- Pour the water into a large pot, then add the apple juice. If you are using a cold water, you may take about 2 cups of hot water, out of the total amount, for better fermenting process (3 1/2 liter of cold water plus 2 cups of hot water)
- Dissolve the coffee in a little amount of hot water, and then pour into a pot.
- Add the apple vinegar, lemon juice, yeast, and sugar. Mix well.
- *Keep it overnight at room temperature. The preparation time may vary depending on the kvass and room temperature, and also the yeast freshness. When it’s done, you should see the foam on the top. (More foam – more likely it’s ready; less foam – not ready yet)
- When the kvass is ready, pour it into clean plastic bottles (from apple juice, for example), and keep in the refrigerator. For best taste, drink within a week.
*Note: the time of fermenting may also depend on the local climate. For example, during the summer hot weather, in New York state, the kvass can be ready to drink within 4 to 6 hours. In Washington state, it will take between 8 to 12 hours to be ready. (This is from my personal experience)
Another variety of this recipe is berry kvass.