Berry kvass is a modification of apple kvass and also is really good.
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 4 qt 6 oz (4 liter) water
- 6 tbsp apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh or concentrate
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp fresh active dry yeast (add 1/2 tsp if the yeast is older)
- 2 cup sugar
- Put the berries into the 2 1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil, keep on a low heat for 4-6 minutes. Drain and discard the berries.
- Pour the hot berry compote into a large pot, add the rest of the 4 liters of cold water (room temperature is OK).
- Dissolve the coffee in a little amount of hot water, pour into a pot.
- Add the apple vinegar, lemon juice, yeast, and sugar. Mix well.
- Keep it overnight at room temperature. The preparation time may vary depending on the kvass and room temperature, and also the yeast freshness. When it’s done, you should see the foam on the top. (More foam – more likely it’s ready; less foam – not ready yet)
- When the kvass is ready, pour it into clean plastic bottles (from apple juice, for example), and keep in the refrigerator. For best taste, drink within a week.