Kissel is a popular European drink/dessert, made from fruits or berries, and thickened with potato starch (corn starch won’t work).
- 6 cup water
- 2 1/4 cup mix of blackberries and blueberries
- 4 tbsp potato starch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Put berries in a pot with water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cook for about 5 minutes. Drain and discard berries if you don’t want to keep them in a drink.
- In a cup, mix potato starch with a small amount of water.
- Increase heat to medium, pour potato starch slowly into a pot, stirring all the time. Cook for a minute, turn heat off.
- Add sugar. Let it cool.
- Drink warm or cold (I like it warm with freshly baked sweet rolls).
Notes: for this recipe, you may use any kind of berries or fruits. Some people like it thicker, so they add more starch.