- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- ½ to 1 cup nuts – optional
- In a small pot, put poppy seeds and about 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat off, let stand for 20 minutes. Drain water using a fine mesh colander.
- In a stand mixer, in one bowl beat egg yolks with ½ cup sugar, add softened butter, beat well until smooth and fluffy. Carefully mix in baking powder, poppy seeds, and flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with ½ cup sugar until stiff.
- Carefully add egg whites into batter, mix evenly using a mixing spoon or spatula.
- You may add nuts into batter or spread them on the top later (this step is optional).
- Grease 8” square or round baking pan with butter. Transfer batter into a pan.
- Bake a cake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Use a wood toothpick to check if it’s ready.
- When ready, let it cool; sprinkle atop with sugar powder if desired. Enjoy with tea or coffee.