To make this delicious sauerkraut borscht (soup), you’ll need to have a good sauerkraut ready.
I’m using my own prepared, crunchy and super good sauerkraut (see the recipe here).
- 3-4 oz meat, your favorite, any kind: raw (need to cook) or braised
- 6 cups water
- 3-4 potatoes
- 1 carrot, small to medium size (optional, if sauerkraut made without carrot)
- 1/2 onion, medium
- oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 1/4 tsp black ground pepper
- salt to taste if needed
- 1 tsp Goya Adobo Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Chicken Base Bullion (optional)
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp dill, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 1 bay leaf
- If using raw meat, cook it in water until it’s ready.
- Peel potato and cut in small cubes. Add potato and sauerkraut to meat bouillon, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook about 15 minutes.
- Chop onion, grate carrot, saute together with oil, start with high heat then reduce, 4-5 minutes. Add to the soup.
- Add the rest of ingredients. Put parsley and dill right before soup is done.
Enjoy soup with a peace of bread.