- Beet – 1 large or 2 medium
- Potatoes – 2 medium
- Carrots – 2 medium
- Onion – ½ medium
- Sweet peas, canned – ½ can (15 oz – 430 g)
- Pickles – 3-4 pieces or 1 cup sliced
- Sea salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cook the beets in a pot of water. The cooking time may vary between 1 and 2 hours. Check with fork to determine if they are soft inside. Drain water and let the beets cool.
- Cook the potatoes and carrots together, in a pot of water. The cooking time will be 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the water and let the potatoes and carrots cool.
- When cool, peel the beets, potatoes, and carrots.
- Open the can of peas, drain syrup, use ½ of the peas.
- Slice the beets, potatoes, carrot, onion, and pickles.
- Chop the potatoes, beets, carrot, onion, and pickles into cubes using a Vidalia chopper, with the smaller size grid. If a chopper is not available, chop the vegetables with a knife.
- First put chopped potatoes into a bowl. Add the oil, mix well. Adding the oil before adding other ingredients, the beets specifically, will prevent the potatoes from turning into a dark purple beet color. It won’t affect the taste of the salad, but will look prettier.
- Add all other chopped ingredients – beets, carrots, onion, pickles – into the bowl. Add peas and salt. Mix everything well.
- The salad is ready. Serve cold with or without bread. Can be stored for a few days in the refrigerator.